Process of Getting ACR-I Card

Requirements to get an SRRV Visa

Today we got a comment and question from Randall.

This is what Randall had to say:

Hi Bob,

I’m currently in the Philippines going through the process of getting
my ACR-I Card in at the Cebu BI. I applied for the 13a Visa at the
Consulate in Toronto, Canada.

They told me it was good for one year and that I had to move to the Philippines
within the one year otherwise I would have to start all over from the beginning. Well I arrived 6 months after they issued the Visa to
me in Canada. BI in Cebu then sent me to the Department of Quarantine. There they told me that
all my supporting medical records expire after 6 months but fortunately I was
just in time! The BI approved my Visa application once the Department of Quarantine stamped my passport. They said it takes 2 months to process the ACR Card as everything
has to go through Manila.

Process of Getting ACR-I Card


This is Bob’s reply:

That’s good information Randall, thank you for sharing with our readers.

49 Ways to make a living



  1. Gary says

    Two months is the same time frame for Davao City also. It seems that no matter where you are it takes two months to get the ACR-I card.

  2. JimM says

    On a semi-related topic, now that I have my permanent ACR-I card I’m wondering why I bothered. I just left the PI to come back to the US for a month or two, and at the Manila airport I was greeted with a separate line for ACR-I card holders. With it was the requirement to pay 2,880 pesos (around $70 USD) for the privilege of being a cardholder. Yikes. And those without cards didn’t have to pay that.

    I realize the card allows you to get a bank account, but someone please remind me…why else do I need the card? Thanks.

    • says

      Well, JimM, I suppose one of the reasons to bother is because the law says that if you are in the Philippines for more than 59 days, you must have an I-Card. It’s not a choice.

  3. JimM says


    Thanks. Now I can give my wife a good reason why I had to pay the $70 while she and everyone else zipped thru without paying it.

    So even if you enter with a BB Visa, you need the ACR-I card. I thought it was somehow tied to the 13A and related Visas…

    • says

      Oops, you caught me in a mistake there, Jim! You do not need to get an I-Card on a Balikbayan Visa, but you do on other types of Visas. Sorry for my error, I didn’t realize you were traveling on a Balikbayan Visa.

  4. JimM says

    Actually I was on a 13A, but as I was standing in the ACR-I card line my wife was scratching her head as she waited for me, wondering why I bothered with all this 13A and ACR nonsense, why not just use the BB Visa and save a lot of headaches. And I really don’t have a good answer for her. Especially now that I (we) have to go back to convert my 1 year 13A visa to permanent this year.

  5. mike henebry says

    My wife and I agree 100% with your wife. For most folks married to a Philippine citizen and planning to leave at least once per year anyway, there probably is need for any visa other than the automatic, no-cost, Balikbayan visa. True, you cannot open a bank account either on your own or even a joint account with your wife, but I do all the internet banking and money transfers on my wife’s BDO account, even add loads to our cell phone and Globe Smartsick, and use her ATM card to get cash. I do not need to either have my name on the account or deal with bank tellers to get my banking done, just as I do not need to in the US.

    • says

      Hi Mike – I agree, for many people a Balikbayan Visa is a good route. Cheap and easy. For me, though, a resident visa is the right fit. I have been here for 12 years now on my 13(g) visa, and have never left the country. I could not do that on a Balikbayan. 😆

  6. Vicky says

    I plan on getting an ACR-I card in a couple of weeks because I have an extended tourist visa (stay over 59 days)..I was wondering if I’ll be given a drug test at all at the quarantine?? Will I be having to go to quarantine?? If anyone has any time..please let me know a.s.a.p.
    Thanks in advance!

    • says

      Hello Vicky – I have never heard of drug testing being used for an ACR I-Card application. I suppose it could happen, but would be new to me. Also, there is no requirement to go to the Bureau of Quarantine.

      • americo says

        Hi Jim Greetings

        Im currently looking for info on applying for ACR I card.

        What is the process I am married here but often come for 1 month when on holiday.

        I live in tagum city davao region please as there a posibilty for some info.



  7. Mark Konopik says

    I am visiting the Philippines next month. My g13 card is expired by acouple years. Will I get hassled at Mactan Airport or let them know I will go to BI and renew it?

    • says

      Hi Mark – I am not sure I understand what you are talking about. There is no such thing as a “G13″ card. There is a “13g” Visa, but it is not a card, but is not for visitors, bur for permanent residents. Could you clarify?

      • Mark Konopik says

        Sorry Bob. Married to a dual citizen philipina/USA citizen. We moved to Camotes Island in 2007. Was issued my Sec 13G in Cebu city at 04/29/2008, stayed acouple years and then went back to the States to work. Card expired in 04/29/2013. Flying to Cebu, May 7, 2014. Afraid of hassle at Mactan airport upon entering country. See that I can enter for 30 days; extend for another 29 days; and then by 2 months at a time. I wonder if I should go through the hassle of reapplying for my Sec 13G, or go with a 9A? That is my question. Thank you for your sevice helping us that are confused by the Philippine Immigration rules. Mark.

        • says

          Hi Mark – It is important to remember that an ACR card is not a visa. It is only an ID card. The fact that an ACR card expires after 5 years has no bearing on your visa. For example, my ACR expired last year, but my visa is still good. You have/had a 13G visa. 13 Series resident visas are good for life. They never expire. The ID card, the ACR card expires every 5 years but does not affect your visa.

          Now, given the length of time that you have been away from the country, your 13G may have been canceled, but the only way for you to know is to check with the Bureau of Immigration.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *